There is a specific kind of quiet that falls over a room when someone is about to tell you something they have never told anyone.
I have sat in that quiet more times than I can count.
Usually it is an older person. Sometimes it is the last person alive who remembers a particular thing. A day, a place, a name that will disappear from the world the moment they do. And they are trusting me to carry it.
That is the part of this work nobody warns you about.
The stories are always almost gone
When you write about local history, you are usually working against a clock you cannot see.
The people who lived through the things worth remembering are old. Their memories are sharp about 1943 and fuzzy about last Tuesday. And every year, a few more of them are gone, and whatever they did not tell someone goes with them.
I felt this most sharply working on the Tennessee Maneuvers. The soldiers who trained here and the families who fed them were young in the early 1940s. Do the math. The window to hear those stories firsthand is closing, and it is not coming back.
So when someone is willing to talk, you go. You do not wait for a better time. There may not be one.
What it feels like to be trusted with something
People think the hard part of this work is the research. Finding the records. Checking the dates.
It is not.
The hard part is sitting across from someone who is handing you something precious and fragile, and knowing you have to get it right.
When an elderly woman tells you about the brother she lost, or the farm that is under a lake now, or the day the soldiers came through, she is not giving you facts. She is giving you her life. The responsibility that comes with that is heavier than any deadline.
I have learned to just be quiet and let people talk. The best things come out in the pauses, when someone has decided you are safe to tell.
The ones I almost missed
I think about the interviews that almost did not happen.
The person I meant to call and kept putting off. The lead I almost did not follow. The knock on a door I almost did not make.
Some of those turned into the best stories I have ever told. And it terrifies me a little to think how close they came to being lost, just because I was busy, or tired, or figured there would be time later.
That fear is useful. It gets me out the door.
It is the same lesson I wrote about in what staying taught me. The important work is often the quiet work nobody is asking you to do. You have to choose it. Nobody chooses it for you.
Why I write it down
A story that lives in one person's memory is one heartbeat away from gone.
A story that is written down has a chance.
That is the whole reason I do this. Not for clicks. Not for a byline. Because a real thing happened to real people in a real place, and if I do not write it down, there is a good chance no one ever will.
I have always believed that a good story told carefully can matter as much coming out of a small county as it does coming out of anywhere else. The people here lived full lives. Those lives deserve a record.
When I write one of these down, I am not just preserving a memory. I am telling that person, and the people who loved them, that they mattered enough to keep.
The weight and the gift
Being trusted with someone's story is a weight. I have made my peace with that.
But it is also the greatest gift this work has given me.
I have been let into moments most people never get to see. I have heard the last telling of things that happened before I was born. I have watched someone's face change when they realized their story was going to be kept, not lost.
Not many jobs give you that.
So I will keep showing up. Keep knocking on doors. Keep sitting in that quiet, waiting for someone to decide I am safe to tell.
Because somewhere in Smith County right now, there is a story that only one person still remembers.
And the clock is running.
Smith County Historical Tourism Society Blog | Main Street Media Tennessee | Muck Rack | tressabush.net | Linktree
No comments:
Post a Comment